Friday, July 17, 2015

What is and How do I get a PLN?

For those of you who might not know, a PLN is a Professional Learning Plan.  It's a plan to help get teachers and educators around the world connected in a BIG way!  Once you get connected you can glean many different types of resources, support, and promote good pedagogy to the many people around the globe that you are connected to.  It's a whole new look at the meaning of "your circle of friends."

Until recently my PLN consisted of me on the internet google searching lessons and articles for whatever my purpose might be.  Also included in this plan was a small network of friends and peers from my school and district.  At the time I thought I was doing just fine, but honestly what I've learned through the experience of growing a PLN is that what you don't know can hurt you.  Not physically...just professionally, and it can hold you back from growing as an educator. Now I am connected on so many levels with Twitter, Google+, a new blog and Google Site for my parents.  My head is spinning from all of the amazing teachers I have come into contact with lately and as I grow my community network I am also now growing a new appreciation for my profession.  At first it was hard to think that I have anything worth while to share with such an amazing community, but what I have learned over the last month or so is that everybody can't know everything and it's important for everyone to give a little so that they can get a little which then grows into a lot.

Anyone can have a PLN, it doesn't matter who you are or what your title is.  What's most important is that you have one!  Tom Whitby does a great job outlining the mass barriers to those people who are just starting out, how to build one, and what they can do for you.  Here is a link to his article "How Do I Get a Plan" in Edutopia that is a real help when trying to understand and go about beginning a PLN.  I have also included a video for those of you who like the visual learning process as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment