Friday, July 24, 2015

As summer is starting to wind down and the new school year is about to begin, I am always on the look out for the next best learning technique.  I consider myself a life long learner even in my professional life.  It’s such a great way to keep my job interesting and it’s what is best for the students who enter my classroom as well.  For me the greatest and newest technique out there is the book “Learn Like a Pirate” by Paul Solarz.  PIRATE is an acronym that describes behaviors and expectations for the students in your class that promotes independent behaviors and self lead learning.  So I ordered the book, put an email out to my staff to see who wants to join me (2 others so far) on my new journey, and I started following Paul solarz @paulsolarz and the #learnlap on Twitter.
Last spring I came across the book “Teach Like a Pirate” by Dave Burgess @daveburgess #tlap.  Like LLAP the word PIRATE is an acronym for words that are used to inspire teachers to remember or reconnect with their passion,enthusiasm and creativity for teaching.  I recommend that every teacher should read both books and follow both Dave and Paul.  Each book has its merits and it’s always so exciting to be learning something new or even to be reminded about why you started on this journey in the first place. Both of their books are trending and I have found a huge support group by the authors and their followers.  LLAP has a book study going on right now and they will even help you start your own with questions already in place. Here are some tweets that came across my twitter this week...Excited about the opportunity to freely express my pirate-ness. @jessicourtright.  Apparently I’m a pirate.  It’s nice to feel understood. @annieiniowa. You are going to love LearnLAP. @daveburgess. Thinking about creating a culture where failure is how we learn.@fitech.  Don’t be left out!  Follow these great educators and leaders for for a journey fit for a….well Pirate of course!

1 comment:

  1. Very motivating/encouraging. Thanks for this, and your other posts, LIsa. What a blessing to me, and the rest of your PLN...!

    ReplyDelete