Thursday, August 20, 2015

Helping Your New Students Feel Welcome

This year I had a great idea about how to help my 2 new students feel more welcome in our class and a great way to connect them to the students who were at our school last year.  On the first day of school I brought all of my students to the carpet and we went to Google Earth (be sure to download it first).  We started by looking at the United States map and found California and Indiana.  I had students make observations about the states just from looking at their shape and placement on the map.  I had my new students, that had come from Indiana, describe their state.  Next I asked for volunteers to describe California, the state we live in, to our new students.  Then we visited our new students school in Indiana.  They were so excited to see it.  They gave us a virtual tour showing us where their classroom was last year and the direction they road the bus to and from school.  Finally we visited our school and we made more observations about the differences between the schools.  This was a great lesson to help connect our old and new students together and they ended up feeling like they were a part of the classroom and the learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment